Sunday, January 22, 2012

There is no such thing as a perfect birth

I watched; amazed at the woman in front of me. Brave. Courageous. She pushed her baby magnificently. She listened to her body. She owned the moment. It was perfect. She had worked hard for this. She had done all the research, she had read all the books, she had eaten all the right foods. She was beautiful and I was so amazed watching her that I had to fight back tears.

In spite of my awe, I also noticed that something was not quite right. In the next 20 minutes this woman and her baby suffered several complications which had us traveling to the hospital via ambulance arriving before the first hour ever passed.

Next, I stood in the tiny hospital room. Covered in her blood. Watching her on a gurney. Brave. Couragous. She calmly answered the hostile doctor's questions. She withstood the rolling eyes and the belittling comments. I fought to hold back the tears because I wanted her birth experience to be all that she had fought for it to be.

A week later I stood at her door. When it opened I braced myself. In front of me stood a woman with a baby in her arms. Shining. Strong. Vibrant. Rejoicing. She got the point of it all. She empowered herself because in that experience of her birth she learned that there is no perfect birth only imperfect ones which we learn much about ourselves in. I learned from her. I learned to grieve a little less about the complications. I learned to rejoice in the power of the journey.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow, Bettie-- so perfectly articulated, even in the face of there being no such thing as a perfect birth. Thank you for putting that down into words.

Bettie said...

Thank you Jenny!

Kim Lane, CPM, LM [VA] (formerly Kim Mosny) said...

I will just say it again, Bettie.
I love you.

Niki said...

You are so awesome Bettie - a true inspiration to all women privileged to know you :-)

Bettie said...

I love you guys, but I am just telling it like it is. Imperfectly.

Michelle said...

I love this post, Bettie. It reminded me of the relatively minor - yet unexpected - complications I experienced during my first birth.

Jennifer Thorson said...

Thank you for this. I've had a rough doula month, and it's hard to feel like I matter to the mother, even when they seem grateful for my presence.

Jordmor Terri said...

Beautiful Bettie! This is the truth of it! Thank you for your words!