Monday, August 2, 2010

Twitter

I really haven't quite 'got' twitter yet, but I was inspired to try again after listening to Laureen Hudson's talk about Creating an Online Presence for the International Virtual Day of the Midwife
I actually feel a little ashamed of myself for ignoring that important outlet. I felt that it was extremely self-absorbed to tweet about every thing I did. Laureen's talk helped me to see that it was a valuable microblogging tool for me as a midwife and activist. To think I didn't really know what microblogging was until this morning! Thank you to Sarah for reminding me that I had not had a chance to listen to that fabulous (and free!) talk.

2 comments:

Rachel Reed said...

Hi Bettie
I also found Laureen Hudson's talk fascinating and thought provoking. I too have resisted the twitter revolution until recently for the same reasons. I still struggle a little with the 'hey look at me' aspect of an online identity. But, I have had some great feedback on my midwifery blog - including hospital midwives using the info to challenge routine interventions in their practice area. So I reckon if we can generate critical thinking and help to effect change in midwifery it is worth a little discomfort.

WiseWoman said...

One of the tips that Laureen Hudson gave me is "never put anything on the internet that you wouldn't want displayed on a billboard in your home town." I think that's a good idea. Some people have no filters on Twitter and that is scary.