Sunday, March 6, 2011

Just a midwife...

I often joke that my favorite births are the ones in which I am merely the head of the clean-up crew. It is better that way. I prefer that any day over the births where I have to use my "skills".

I like to do all of my talking in the prenatal period, that is when we should talk. We should ask questions and answer them, provide opportunities for education, support the woman and her family, and familiarize our self with her dreams and intuitions.

At birth, the talking should pretty much be to the minimum. Mom leads and baby guides. When we disrupt that process we risk complication. Hands off doesn't mean that we ignore warning signs or are complacent, it means that we understand that babies and mothers are better left to work their magic alone without the midwife interfering.

The best midwives are thrilled with how unnecessary they usually are to the actual birth process. The best birth stories are the ones who merely give a shout out to the midwife.

So, while yes I do rely on the clinical to help paint a picture and I search for opportunities to educate myself so that I am prepared for the times when I am needed, I strive to be more or less just a midwife. The gal in the background. A member of the clean-up crew.

3 comments:

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

How did I miss that you have a blog!?!?!? Glad I found it so I can follow you!
Michelle

Kelsey said...

It would probably have been best had my midwives not informed me it was okay to scream. I was doing soo good just trying to hold it all in. As soon as they volunteered that info it was all over. I think people out on the street must have thought someone was being murdered.

Bettie said...

@ Kelsey...some of need to cope with birth in different ways. While I don't think that screaming is the MOST helpful way to cope with labor, I do think that it isn't the end of the world if you scream. I just think it says a lot about where your head is at going into your birth.

I often talk about the birth where I could have made a sailor blush with my cussing...not my shining moment. However, it is what it is.