Saturday, March 5, 2011

What a homebirth midwife does

Because I am so used to being involved in providing homebirth care, sometimes it is hard for me to think back to the times when I really didn't understand a thing about what homebirth was about. I remember when I was pregnant with my daughter and preparing for my first homebirth that I thought I shouldn't bother my midwife if I was having preterm contractions! I went to the hospital instead and just told her about it at our next prenatal visit. I am sure she was exasperated with me, but I have clients do just the same sort of thing. So in order to clear up any confusion, I thought I would write a little post about it. Remember, I don't require much...this is what I offer.

Here is what I do as a homebirth midwife, your midwife may offer different services...
  • complete prenatal care
  • nutritional counseling
  • a little massage, craniosacral work, and myofascial release
  • well-woman care
  • newborn exam
  • provide emotional/physical/and informational support
  • referrals to local resources
  • proof of pregnancy letters
  • Placenta encapsulation and prints
  • sign and file birth certificates
  • blood tests, paps, GBS, and newborn metabolic (PKU) testing
  • Clean-up after the birth (for the most part) including the starting the laundry
  • In-home postpartum visits
  • good old-fashioned mama love
What I DON'T do:
  • Ultrasound
  • C-section
  • Tell you what position to get in to push
  • Count while your pushing
  • Clean your windows or your car

2 comments:

Precious said...

I love it!! REALLY wish we lived closer! It would be really nice to end on the high note of a homebirth w/YOU!!

Bettie said...

Thanks Precious! <3 <3 Catching your last baby would bring us full circle for sure...