Monday, July 19, 2010

Funny what I get myself into sometimes!

So, here I am blogging. I guess I have so much free time on my hands that I need a new venture right? No, not really. I am hoping that by beginning this blog I will have the opportunity to share what is on my mind, relay information, and share my passions with those who are willing to read. Who knows? Maybe I will save time in the process.

I am doing this because I am participating in an online blogging course. In the future, when I am worthy, this blog can serve as a communication tool for my to my clients as well.

My current passions are:

My family. I have 7 beautiful living children, ages 18, 17, 14, 12, 10, 9, and 6. I have a handsome husband who is in the military. We are currently getting ready to say good-bye to him for a year as he will deploy to Kuwait.

Miscarriage and stillbirth. I lost two babies in a year, the first with a miscarriage and the second a stillbirth at 22 weeks. They were my last pregnancies (John Paul 4/05 and Sophia Janice 9/22/05). I do speak openly about my experiences in hopes that others will be comforted by that and that some will be educated about grief surrounding pregnancy/neonatal loss.

Homebirth. I am a homebirth midwife. I serve women and have a passion for hands-off, family directed birth. I love being the pit crew for moms and babies. If all I do is clean up the mess, then that means the birth was a success for me professionally.

Faith. I am a proud of my Catholic faith. I am a convert which makes me more obnoxious than most. However, I am genuinely interested in the faith of others and I think pretty tolerant. I share my faith because it is part of me, not because I am preaching.

There is more, but I gots to go!

3 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

Hi Bettie

Welcome to FO2010 - I hope you enjoy the course. Can I ask...as a midwife...what has motivated you to do this course?

regards Sarah

Bettie said...

Hi Sarah! I would say I am motivated to educate, share information, use a tool for birth activism, and also simply as an outlet for creativity.

Thank you for stopping by!

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks Bettie, you have confirmed what I was thinking...that midwives and consumers are getting more into social media as a new way of being an activist. This phenomenon is one that cannot be ignored by the profession at large...a research project in there somewhere :) :)